Posts Tagged ‘ acquire ’

Samsung to Improve S Pen by Acquiring Stake in Wacom

January 31, 2013

Samsung’s next-generation S Pen could see significant improvement, as the Korea-based manufacturer has just purchased a five percent stake in Wacom, the leading producer of graphic tablets, for 5,344,687,960 Yen or roughly $58.5 million. In case you’re unaware, Samsung’s pressure-sensitive digital stylus (S Pen) for its Galaxy Note line of smartphones and tablets has...
Continue Reading »

SoftBank Set to Buy 70% Stake in Sprint for $20.1 Billion

October 17, 2012

Japanese provider SoftBank will indeed acquire a 70% stake in Sprint for $20.1 billion – that’s $12.1 billion in cash and $8 billion in new shares. Sprint will use SoftBank’s experience to strengthen the deployment of its 4G LTE network. Sprint has been struggling to stay afloat in recent years, so this could be...
Continue Reading »

Facebook to Acquire Instagram for $1 Billion

April 9, 2012

Following its success on iOS and recent release on Android, Facebook has announced plans to purchase Instagram for $1 Billion. The deal to acquire the popular image-sharing app will consist of cash and shares of Facebook, and it’s expected to close at the end of Q2 2012. Full presser below. Press Release: Facebook to...
Continue Reading »

Fujitsu Buys Toshiba’s Stake in Short-lived Mobile Partnership

April 2, 2012

Fujitsu sent out a press release today announcing that they’ve bought out Toshiba’s stake in the short-lived Fujitsu Toshiba Mobile Communications partnership. The company has been renamed to Fujitsu Mobile Communications Limited, as it’s now a wholly owned subsidiary of Fujitsu. Fujitsu already had 80.1% ownership stake, so the acquisition of Toshiba’s remaining 19.9%...
Continue Reading »

Sony to buy out Ericsson to become sole owner

October 27, 2011

Sony has announced that they will acquire Ericsson’s fifty percent stake in the Sony Ericsson partnership to become the sole owner of the brand that’s responsible for so many smartphones over the years. Ericsson will receive €1.05 billion and the deal provides Sony with a broad intellectual property (IP) cross-licensing agreement covering all products...
Continue Reading »

Nokia, HTC, Samsung, Sony Ericsson and LG react to Google acquiring Motorola Mobility

August 16, 2011

Here’s what Motorola’s competitors (Nokia, HTC, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, and LG) have to say about the Google-Motorola partnership… Nokia This further reinforces our belief that opportunities for the growth of Nokia’s smartphone business will be greatest with Windows Phone. This could prove to be a massive catalyst for the Windows Phone ecosystem. Additionally, with...
Continue Reading »

Qualcomm to add gesture tech to Snapdragon line

July 25, 2011

Today, Qualcomm announced their partial acquisition of GestureTek, a leading developer of gesture recognition technology in the mobile space. Qualcomm aims to use their newly acquired resources to launch “compelling user experiences” across their current and next-generation Snapdragon chipsets. With gesture recognition technology getting implemented in Qualcomm’s Snapdragon processors, manufacturers should have the ability...
Continue Reading »

Sprint formally asks FCC to block AT&T’s buyout of T-Mobile

May 31, 2011

AT&T is still in the process of acquiring T-Mobile for $39 billion and it’s no secret that Sprint wants to block them. Now, the third largest wireless carrier in the US has filed a request with the FCC to deny the deal. For full details on Sprint’s stance, read the press release below. Press...
Continue Reading »

Sprint strikes back, opposes AT&T buyout of T-Mobile

March 28, 2011

Sprint dropped an official press release today to make it clear to the world how they feel about AT&T’s recent move to buyout T-Mobile for a whopping $39 billion. They will fight it and hope that the deal gets blocked by the Department of Justice and the Federal Communications Commission during the approval process....
Continue Reading »